COLOGNE, February 21, 2017
- 3.35 million arrivals (-2.9 per cent), 5.8 million overnight stays (-3.5 per cent)
- Global influencing factors affect important source markets for Cologne
- Stable convention and congress market increases slightly
- Focus on #urbanCGN is riding the trend of urban discovery
- 2017 will be rich in events, including the Ice Hockey World Championship and strong trade fairs
The tourism year 2016 lagged behind the record-breaking year 2015, posting a total of 3.35 million arriving guests and 5.8 million overnight stays. The decreases amount to 2.9 per cent for arrivals and 3.5 per cent for officially recorded overnight stays in hotels. After 15 years during which the figures for overnight stays have doubled since 2000, last year many different kinds of influencing factors – some of them global – had negative effects on the development of tourism in Cologne.