The exact time of origin and the original height cannot be traced, but the gate was used as a portal to the cathedral surroundings long after antiquity. Accordingly, it was long referred to as the Pfaffenpforte. It was finally demolished in 1826 after it was decided to widen the streets in the nearby area. Subsequently, the lateral archway was preserved and changed its place several times until finally, with the construction of the Domplatte, the present location was found, almost on the site of the original.
For information purposes, there is a plaque on the cathedral slab that shows us the Roman city wall on today's cityscape. Another plaque next to the archway again points to the possible original shape of the Roman Gate.
Suitable for any weather
for individual guests
for Children of all Ages